Tomorrow I turn 30, so tonight is the last night of my 20s. I guess this is the first of the big milestone birthdays where you start to look back and reflect on life. At 18 you’re just exited at finally being an “adult” after years of thinking you should be one, at 30 I think it’s just starts to dawn on you that you finally need to be an adult and you wonder what on Earth you’ve been doing for the last 10 years.
That’s been on my mind a lot lately, so instead of dwell on what it means to be 30, I though I’d look back at the last 10 years thinking about some of the things I’ve experienced and achieved. This is going to be quite a self-indulgent post and probably sound a bit big-headed but I’m turning 30 tomorrow so give me a break, it’s all downhill from here… And because it’s so self congratulatory, I thought I’d throw in a few gifs for good measure.
So here goes, 20 achievements/high-points/good times from my 20s:
- Travelled around the world
- Lived in Sydney
- Went to the F1 Australian GP (walked on the grid the morning of the race)
- Visited Hawaii
- Won in Vegas
- Graduated with a First Class Degree with honours
- Gave a lecture as an Alumni of my University
- Founded the 12 Devs of Xmas seasonal article series and organised 5 series of articles
- Helped out at the early beginnings of the immensely successful Code Club
- Lived in London
- Organised and hosted 4 events in London
- Saw my favourite comedian live, every time he appeared in London
- Became a published author (Buy it here!)
- Raised over £1,000 for charity through cycling events, including riding the RideLondon 100 twice
- Spoke at conferences around the world (notably New York, Amsterdam, Milan)
- Learned to snowboard – and subsequently injured myself on my first snow holiday
- Driven an Aston Martin DB9 and a Jaguar E-Type
- Saw my favourite band live, twice!
- Moved in with a girl!
- Lost ~15Kg and started successfully dieting for the first time in my life
So that was my 20s. When I started to make this list, the first few things are quite easy to come up with, but after a while reflecting back on those 10 years you start to remember all sorts of little details and good memories.
There’s still a lot I want to do in life, this list is by no means what I’d consider complete. There’s already a few things in the works for the coming year or so that I’m really looking forward to. But for now I’m going to enjoy turning 30 and celebrate with friends and forget about doing things in life and just enjoy living it for a bit.